Chief Minister and Treasurer’s Message
I am writing to seek community input to the Territory’s 2017-18 Budget.
The 2016-17 Budget built on everything that is great about Canberra, to continue our journey towards an even stronger, more prosperous, fairer and more liveable city. Significant investment was made within areas of need; we have funded more nurses, more doctors and more teachers, more municipal services, more roads and road upgrades, more public transport, and more support for vulnerable Canberrans.
The Government set out its agenda through the 2016 election process and will focus on delivering on its commitments in the 2017-18 Budget. Submissions that assist the Government to deliver these commitments and ensure they are effective in providing benefits to the community would be particularly useful.
Should you wish to participate in the 2017-18 Budget Consultation Process, I encourage you to consider the following questions:
- What services do you believe are most important for the Territory?
- How can the Government deliver current services more efficiently and productively?
- Are there particular services that you consider the Government should stop delivering or perhaps should deliver in a different way?
- Are there any new ways to generate revenue and/or services you consider that the community should make a direct contribution to (a fee for service)?
- What are your views on the Government’s taxation reforms, noting that its main objective is to replace inefficient taxes (such as conveyance duties and insurance premiums) with an efficient land-based tax?
- Is there any infrastructure that the Government should consider initiating in the next four years?
You are welcome to provide input via the ACT Government Your Say website at the following link: Your Say.
Submissions can also be lodged via the Your Say website by completing the 'Detailed Survey'. Should you approve your feedback and/or submission being made public it will be viewable on the Budget Consultation website.
The closing date for the provision of input is Thursday, 22 December 2016. For further enquiries, please call the Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate on 6207 1375.
Andrew Barr MLA
ACT Chief Minister and Treasurer